The Center for Victims of Torture is hiring a Country Director to lead its program in Jordan, which provides specialized rehabilitation to diverse survivors of torture and war trauma, primarily from Syria and Iraq. The program has two primary goals: provide direct services to survivors and build the capacity of local providers to deliver these services. These efforts will help survivors suffering from the effects of torture and trauma rebuild their lives with dignity and enable them to contribute to their families and communities. It will also allow providers to better understand, identify, support and treat the survivors.
The Country Director provides overall leadership to Jordan-based program operations and provides leadership and managerial oversight of project activities, consistent with CVT’s organizational values, policies and commitment to program quality. The Country Director sets operational direction by prioritizing and organizing team actions and resources, and ensures the program accomplishes its goals. This position will also spearhead CVT Jordan’s sustainability plans.
Location: Amman, Jordan
Duration: One year with possibility of renewal
Start date: September 1, 2018
Reports to: Program Manager at headquarters
The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit dedicated to healing survivors of torture. We offer rehabilitation services to those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture, and advocate for human rights and an end to torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota, and we have US offices in Atlanta and DC, as well as offices in Africa and the Middle East.
- Program Management: Lead local program planning and implementation to ensure achievement of program goals and alignment with organizational strategic objectives. Empower management team to create ambitious yet achievable goals and to create systems of accountability for their departments. Liaise with headquarters. Strategically allocate field-based resources. Ensure coordination between project activities to promote integrated programmatic implementation. Leverage project monitoring and evaluation results to inform in-country program implementation.
- External Representation & Community Building: Serve as a representative of the organization and foster relationships that advance programmatic and strategic priorities. Key relationships include government ministries, program partners, coordinating forums, and other key stakeholders. Delegate liaisons to ensure program is represented at all appropriate forums. Ensure close coordination and information sharing with relevant in-country peers and partners. Lead on key tasks related to CVT’s registration and legal status in Jordan.
- Fundraising & Development: Cultivate and manage relationships with donors. Contribute to funding proposals and prepare reports required by donors, CVT and other stakeholders. Respond to donor, government and media requests for information.
- Financial Management: Ensure transparent and accountable stewardship of CVT resources. Monitor program budget and regularly review for any necessary adjustments. Oversee the preparation of budgets, forecasts and reports. Ensure financial controls are in place and the program is compliant with all donor and government requirements. Participate in and support audits from donors, headquarters and third parties.
- Team Leadership & Management: Supervise a staff team who are committed to maintaining the values of the organization and achieving program objectives. Hire, train, supervise, manage the performance, and promote the development of team members, including delegation of responsibilities to ensure their professional growth.
- Operations and Human Resource Management: Ensure human resources policies and practices support a productive, committed and motivated workforce that upholds the values of the organization. Ensure compliance with all relevant labor laws and regulations. Ensure day-to-day operations (logistics, facilities, transportation, maintenance and procurement) are implemented in a coordinated, transparent, and timely fashion. Model and implement best practices in staff well-being.
- Risk Management: Oversee the local risk management team, and implement all risk management policies. Ensure emergency preparedness plans are in place and appropriately followed. Adjust program practices and operations in response to evolving risks and changes in the legal, political, economic, security and health context.
- Other Duties: Participate in other department and organization-wide activities, meetings and trainings. Complete administrative responsibilities. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- BA degree required in international development or related field.
- 8 years of relevant management and supervisory experience in an international non-governmental organization.
Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- Strong preference will be given to Jordanian candidates.
- Graduate degree in international development or related field.
- Experience working in mental health and psychosocial program.
Competencies (knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Familiarity with private, US government, UN and multi-lateral funders.
- Demonstrated success in all areas of program management, including donor proposal development, implementation, project monitoring and evaluation, and operations.
- Flexibility, adaptability and sensitivity to working in a complex socio-cultural environment.
- Strong participatory leadership skills.
- Experience with financial management of nongovernmental organizations.
- Experience living and working in the Middle East.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Excellent skills in organization, attention to detail and time management.
- Fluency in English. Arabic language skills highly desirable.
- Interest in or commitment to human rights
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and salary expectations by July 25, 2018 to http://cvt.simplicant.com/