- Apr 10, 2023
- St. Paul, Minnesota
- WFH Flexible
- US-Based Positions
The Center for Victims of Torture is hiring an Assistant Controller to provide oversight of finance, accounting, payroll and reporting activities. The Assistant Controller leads all day-to-day finance operations and supervises a team of accounting staff including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts receivable and grants administration.
Position open to:
- Candidates located in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area who are authorized to work in the U.S. and will not need CVT to sponsor them on a work visa.
- Position is partially remote. 20% in-office in St. Paul, Minnesota and 80% remote.
The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit dedicated to healing survivors of torture. We offer rehabilitation services to those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture, and advocate for human rights and an end to torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota, and we have US offices in Georgia and DC, as well as offices in Africa and the Middle East.
- General Accounting: Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program actual expenditures. Periodically assist in grant accounting on assigned projects including preparation of monthly financial reports, periodic financial analysis and projections for grants and contracts and communicate this information to the key finance staff and program managers.
- Staff Management: Manage and supervise staff. Build a strong and cohesive team. Hire, train, coach and develop staff members through ongoing feedback as well as formal performance management systems. Hold regular supervisory meetings with direct reports. Coordinate and facilitate team meetings. Ensure achievement of goals. Develop and maintain annual work plans (for individuals and team). Coordinate workflow, resources and priorities.
- Provide proposal support, including but not limited to the budget review, preparation of cost forms, solicitations review and submission, and proposal compliance with solicitation requirements. Review proposals for reasonableness, contract language, representations, certification, etc., ensure compliance of proposals with the funding agency’s pricing and other requirement and presentation formats.
- Audits: Assist with preparation of CVT annual and periodic program audits. Lead the annual preparation of financial audit and preparation of IRS Form 990.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in accounting or finance
- 2 years of experience successfully managing direct reports
- Demonstrated success managing organizational annual audits
- Demonstrated experience establishing and maintaining accounting procedures and internal controls
- Demonstrated experience using sophisticated general ledger and reporting accounting packages. CVT’s current general ledger system is Microsoft Business Central and Prophix.
- Demonstrated experience processing payroll or supervising payroll processing.
Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- Master’s degree in accountancy or business administration
- CPA or CMA
- 2 years of experience working in a nonprofit setting including work with federal grants accounting
- Demonstrated success leading organizational annual and program audits
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple revenue streams, including grants, contracts, medical billing and individual contributions
- Experience with consolidated financial statements
Competencies (knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office software and applications with specific emphasis in the development and use of Excel spreadsheets
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) and governmental accounting practices
- Ability to manage direct reports effectively; including ability to develop rapport, build strong, trusting relationships and work cross-culturally
- Superior interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with individuals across an organization
- Ability to develop relationships and communicate effectively (in writing and verbally) with colleagues working both in the U.S. and internationally, as well as with other stakeholders
- Interest and ability to engage in diversity, equity and inclusion efforts within the organization
- Excellent skills in organization and attention to detail
- Ability to manage time effectively (including the ability to meet deadlines), prioritize and handle unforeseen requests
- Interest in or commitment to human rights
Supervisory Responsibilities: Payroll Administrator (1), Accountants (2)
Work Environment (subject to change):
- CVT has a COVID-19 vaccination mandate in place for US-based employees
- Typical office environment
- Time spent on the computer is approximately 75%
- Time spent in virtual meetings is approximately 50%
- Possible travel to 1-2 conferences in the USA per year
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and salary expectations by April 9, 2023 to http://cvt.simplicant.com/
CVT is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, familial status, genetic information, or any other protected status. We encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds such as these to apply for this position.