The Center for Victims of Torture is hiring an HR Generalist to support an engaged, high-performing staff that achieves organizational goals. This position will implement human resources programs including recruitment and hiring, training, employee relations, and policy implementation. The HR Generalist reports to the Director of HR.
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Remote status: 90%
This position will support about 120 regular US-based employees (spread across the US), 30 interpreters and 20 international staff. The US HR department also provides support as-needed to CVT’s global direct service and capacity development projects. The organization will begin implementing an exciting and ambitious 3-year strategic plan in the coming months. The HR Generalist reports to the Director of HR.
The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit dedicated to healing survivors of torture. We offer rehabilitation services to those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture, and advocate for human rights and an end to torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota, and we have US offices in Georgia and DC, as well as offices in Africa and the Middle East.
- Employee Relations: Improve manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems, evaluating and implementing solutions, and coaching and counseling managers and employees. Support and implement performance management systems.
- Talent Acquisition: Lead hiring processes for US-based and international positions. Develop recruitment strategies and relationships with relevant networks. Facilitate thorough interview processes. Coach and train managers on effective and legally sound hiring processes.
- Policies & Documentation: Assist the Director of HR in developing and maintaining policies. Develop and maintain accurate job descriptions, in partnership with managers. Document relevant HR procedures.
- Training & Development: Assess needs and implement solutions that address training and development needs of a complex workforce. Evaluate effectiveness of training activities.
- Compliance & Risk Management: Ensure compliance with all laws, regulations affecting human resources activities. Remain current on employment-related laws and regulations.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or other related field or equivalent years of experience working in the field
- 5 years of experience in progressively responsible HR roles
- Demonstrated experience successfully addressing employee relations matters
- Demonstrated experience creating and updating written HR materials, such as policies, job descriptions, instructions, project documents, etc.
- Demonstrated experience successfully utilizing HR technology, including learning management system, performance management system, applicant tracking system, HRIS and other systems
Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- SHRM-CP or PHR certification
- Demonstrated experience implementing and using HRIS system
- Previous experience facilitating meetings and giving presentations on HR-related content (including developing presentation content and using technology to deliver)
Competencies (knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Possess well-rounded knowledge and experience in the field of Human Resources, including talent acquisition, employee relations, benefits administration, people management, compliance, compensation and organizational development
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Able to take in a great deal of information, engage in analysis and make recommendations.
- Able to learn new concepts and work in complexity comfortably
- High emotional intelligence and self-awareness. Can be sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others.
- Able to comfortably use web-based meeting platforms to lead/attend meetings and give presentations.
- Exercise good judgment and able to maintain confidentiality
- Skilled in HR writing, including proper grammar and punctuation, organization/layout of content, ability to concisely express complex concepts and use of consistent formats.
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate outcomes
- Ability to develop and maintain professional, collaborative relationships with a variety of diverse stakeholders. Excellent rapport building skills.
- Ability to communicate with others effectively in writing and verbally. Comfortable giving presentations to groups of all sizes.
- Commitment to engaging in human rights work, and diversity, equity and inclusion efforts within the organization
- Excellent skills in organization, attention to detail and time management (including the ability to meet deadlines)
- Skilled in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
Work Environment (subject to change):
- CVT has a COVID-19 vaccination mandate in place for US-based employees
- Typical office environment
- Time spent on the computer is approximately 90%
- Time spent in virtual meetings is approximately 60-75%
Salary and Benefits:
- This is a full-time, benefits-eligible payroll position
- Compensation is up to $77,000 annually, depending on qualifications
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision insurances, retirement plan employer match and employer contribution after first year of employment, 22 days of PTO in first year of employment and 11 paid, floating holidays annually.
In order to be considered, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary expectations by August 21, 2022. A cover letter is required, as it helps us understand a candidate’s interest in the position.
CVT is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, familial status, genetic information, or any other protected status. We encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds such as these to apply for this position.