- St. Paul, MN
- US-Based Positions
The Center for Victims of Torture is hiring a Controller who is responsible for all finance, accounting and reporting activities. This position leads all day-to-day finance operations and supervises a team of accounting staff including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts receivable and grants administration. The Controller reports to the CFO and is based at our headquarters in St. Paul, MN.
The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit dedicated to healing survivors of torture. We offer rehabilitation services to those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture, and advocate for human rights and an end to torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota, and we have US offices in Atlanta and DC, as well as offices in Africa and the Middle East.
- General accounting: Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures. Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner. Clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements. Monitor progress and changes. Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery. Assist The CFO in organizational forecasting by working in partnership with all functional areas.
- Budget: Lead the annual budgeting and planning process with the CFO. Administer and review all individual department budgets and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Supervision: Manage and supervise accounting staff members. Ensure achievement of overall team goals. Build a strong and cohesive team. Hire, train, coach, mentor and develop staff members through ongoing feedback as well as formal performance management systems. Supervise volunteers. Develop systems for cross-training functions across the department.
- Annual Filings and Reports: Ensure compliance with required filings. Assist the CFO in preparing the Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Application (NICRA) for submission to the federal government and annual filing with the MN Attorney General. Assist in the annual registration with the MN Secretary of State. Assist the CFO with insurance renewal process.
- Audits: Assist with the preparation of CVT annual and periodic program audits. Lead the annual preparation of financial audit and the preparation of IRS Form 990.
- Other duties: Participate in other department and organization-wide activities, meetings and trainings. Complete administrative responsibilities. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- BA degree in accounting , finance or business administration
- CPA or CMA
- 5 years of nonprofit finance experience at an intermediate level.
Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- 7 years of nonprofit finance experience at an intermediate or senior level.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Experience with federal grants, multiple funding streams and varied reporting requirements.
- Working knowledge of nonprofit accounting standards.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
- Experience with sophisticated general ledger accounting packages, Blackbaud, Microsoft Dynamics GP and Adaptive Insights.
- Demonstrated success in managing a team.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent skills in organization, attention to detail and time management (including the ability to meet deadlines).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to respond in a supportive manner to unforeseen requests.
- Interest in or commitment to human rights.
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and salary expectations by April 18, 2018 to http://cvt.simplicant.com/
Affirmative Action/EEO/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/E-Verify Employer